Sunday, December 20, 2009

Afterthoughts on My Sister's Keeper

So after a strong recommendation on Eva's behalf and the attraction that the book's storyline attracts- a sister conceived with only one mission, to help her sister live, I finally pick up and read My Sister's Keeper. Surprisingly, I finished it in a day. I love the Harry Potter series to death, and I don't think I was able to finish the first few in such a record time; although that probably doesn't mean much.

The first thing I have to rave about is the amount of typos in the damn book. It was RIDICULOUS, the number! I felt like there was a typo in every section of the book. And they weren't simple typos like "hsa" or something, it was like spelling perv "pret" or the like. It was grievously and blatantly wrong to the point where it interfered with my reading. Which is definitely annoying when you're feverishly skimming through the book so you can get to the beefy part, the ending. They seriously paid that editor for nothing. Also, the perspectives style she used reminded me of Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. Other than that, I think the only reason this book stands out is because of the obvious moral and ethical dilemma it presents. Although I must give credit to the author of thinking of such a fabulously dramatic storyline. And the ending! What a surprise. *shrug* Well, at least it wasn't terrible and didn't make the book a complete waste of my time.

Campbell's also definitely one hot lawyer. And gawd did the movie screw that part up. Here's a picture of the movie-version Campbell:


He looks like the BA324 prof that I had. Definitely not hot. Nor young. Nor the badass and dashing womanizer that Campbell should be. I wonder, is there a common point between all the male leads that I'm attracted to in books and dramas? Let's see, well I guess a common point is that they're all deficient in something. And probably cowards. No, I take that back. Darcy wasn't a coward; quite the opposite. Nor was Min-hyung from Winter Sonata and Lee Kyung Min from On Air. But they definitely had deficiencies. Darcy was overly protective of those dear to him, Min-hyung hadn't ever truly loved, and Lee Kyung Min had fragile self-esteem because of his economic status. Meh, I guess it proves the saying that you love someone despite them being imperfect? Or that you love everything about someone, even their imperfections? Something like that. And, I guess if someone does just so happen to be perfect, then they must be the most boring ever and you would never be interested in them. Ever.

No comments: