Sunday, January 9, 2011

Product Review: Murad Clean Scene Moisturizer

Haven't done a product review in a while since I've been holding the spending down, but I had to buy something when Sephora had the 15 off 35 for BIs, so I got the following moisturizer (been/still searching for my HG moisturizer).




Murad's Clean Scene Begging for Balance Moisturizer
Rating:  2/5
Packaging:  5/5

Uses:  Moisturize; ideal for all skin types (theoretically).


I really, really, really wanted to like this product because it seemed to be everything I wanted.  Price was just right, packaging was just right, and it sounded like it was a good match for my skin after reading some reviews online.  

The Clean Scene line by Murad is targeted towards teens with the cutesy colors on the packaging and with all the products contain salicylic acid.  However, I think it also works for people like me who aren't teens anymore yet still have to fight blemishes and "bad" skin.  The differentiating ingredient in this line is the "Chinese wonder" (quoted from the packaging) called yumberry, which "takes on free radicals and helps neutralize these skin damaging enemies of balanced, smooth skin."  The moisturizer smelled like the yumberry, which has a nice fruity smell.  It also lived up to its claim to "shut down shine"; didn't feel shiny at all after applying and moisturizing properties were adequate. 


So far so good?  Now here comes the catch - I had an allergic reaction.  I didn't break out or have a rash, but I itched like crazy after applying this.  I usually don't have allergic reactions to products, so I'm not exactly sure which ingredient caused the itchiness.  Or perhaps it was the "special" yumberry ingredient?  In any case, this is going back to Sephora and I will continue my search for a moisturizer.

Pros:

  • Reasonable price ($22 for 1.7 oz)
  • Reputable brand - Murad does not test on animals and its products do not contain parabens, sulfates, petrochemicals, phthalates, GMOs, or triclosan
  • Good packaging - good for travel, doesn't cause product waste, and sanitary
Cons:
  • Smell (for those who are sensitive to smells, although this one didn't bother me)
  • Experienced an allergic reaction

No comments: