Saturday, January 15, 2011

Some tea, my dears?

Finally made it to London on Wednesday after much idle waiting and being in chairs too small for me for too long.  I've only been here for four days, but for some reason it feels a lot longer.  Like two weeks or something.  Anyway, here are a few of my first impressions of London thus far:
  • Despite the street scrubbers, the streets are still ridiculously dirty.  My canvas boots have gone from a tan color to black.  My babies *cries*
  • It's a very "normal" city.  Everyone just wears peacoats and scarves all day and goes about their usual business.  Nothing exciting.
  • The weather is either wet, rainy, cloudy, or a mix of the three.  But that was a given even before I came.
London weather.

  • Tea is everywhere.  When people told me how serious the Brits are about tea, they weren't kidding.  The first thing I was asked by the flatmate was "Would you like some tea?"  There's even a library that serves afternoon tea.  PCL should do that too.
The original Twinings store, est. in 1706.

  • British food is better  than expected.  People should give them more credit because yes, English cuisine does exist.  I know for one that they don't sell parsnip soup, treacle pie, and sausage rolls everyday in the States.  (Have yet to try the first two, but will *hopefully* soon!)  
Some of the stuff I've had so far, though most of it is not British.  (Actually Australian, French, and Spanish to be exact)
 Goal for next week: knock out the tourist sites like the museums, Buckingham, etc.  I'm a very, very bad tourist.  So far I've only visited Courtnauld (where they hold London Fashion Week), a market, Chinatown, and two drawing rooms in the National Gallery.  Any additional suggestions of what I should do/eat/see in London?

No comments: