Monday, May 10, 2010

Origins

Origins is the new brand that I've been exploring since they had the Earth Day deal.  I'm interested in them mainly because they're organic, but they're also uber pricey because of that marketing pitch.  They sent me an email about a free mini facial, and since I'm a sucker for anything "free," I went to the store and had a "mini facial," which by the way was a total lie.  Not that I really was expecting a facial or anything, though.  If I really wanted a facial, I'd get a facial massage from Shiseido.  lol.  It basically was just going to the store and trying out their products, which was helpful.  My conclusion from the trip?  There are only like one or two Origins products that I really like.  


Out of my own guilt and to make myself look not like a complete cheap-o, I bought this gift set for $42.50.  *sigh*  My poor pocket.    


Left to right:  Facial Steamer, Clear Improvement charcoal mask, Modern Friction exfoliator, A Perfect World cleanser, and A Perfect World moisturizer


I'll review the items once I use them for a few weeks.  Although it was pricey, it still was a good deal, considering that 1) I'd never finish using the full size products and 2) the average price for the full size products is around $30-40.  Here are my initial thoughts though:

  • Facial Steamer:  useless.  
  • Charcoal mask:  Used it once last night; just something that psychologically lulls you into believing that it's necessary/good for you
  • Exfoliator:  One reason why I bought the set; I have some expectations for this product.  Currently using my Envie D'Neuf exfoliator (a must-have, but also costs $66), but it's expired so I probably should use something new....
  • Cleanser:  Liked the checks and balances cleanser (review below) so hopefully I'll like this too
  • Moisturizer:  Been on the hunt for a moisturizer; if I don't like anything else from this set, at least I got a moisturizer that I actually do need.


And now, for a review of the cleanser that I got on Earth Day.


Origins Checks and Balances frothy face wash.




Rating:  4/5
Packaging:  2/5

Uses:  Cleanse face; ideal for combo/oily/normal, I believe.


Got this because it was free.  And wow is this thing ginormous!  I use half a dime size of product every time, so I have no clue when I'll finish this.  Not to mention the 4 other cleansers that I own...but anyway!  The smell is not fruity or flowery, so it's not the best, but it suffices.  What I do like about it though is the frothy part; it really is a bit like applying mousse, which is pretty cool.  So far I've always applied it by wetting my face first, but the sales lady told me that you can put it on a dry face, too.  


What makes me think that this product actually works and does cleanse like it's supposed to is because the first day that I used it, I had a minor pimple that was sort of popped.  It was a bit red and inflamed.  But after I used this, the next day I woke up and the pimple was 90% healed.  Miracle-worker.  Hence the high rating :)


Pros:

  • Cleanses well
  • Face doesn't feel tight afterwards
  • Humongous size
  • One of the more affordable Origins products at $18.50.  About the same as Clinique and some of the other major brands.
Cons:
  • Packaging.  I don't like how I have to unscrew the cap and then screw it back on.  I'd rather it be like the caps that you can snap open and close.
  • Smell.  Not as nice smelling as I'd want it to be.

1 comment:

Ahleessa said...

You're so nice to buy it. I would have tried the product and just left... lol~ :X Then again I'm not nice... hehe~ I can't wait for the review!